How good are you at rigging?
So you think you know all there is to know about tuning your sail?! Well let’s see how you score in our rigging quiz…..answer each question in turn and find your top score!
This questionnaire is based on tuning sails for planing conditions...
1. If the wind is marginal and you want all the power you can get, would you set the sail with a completely tight leech?
2. What would you say gives the sail more useful power?
3. Does applying more outhaul move the centre of effort forward or back in the sail?
4. In REALLY strong overpowered conditions, is it possible to over downhaul your sail or is more simply better?
5. Should you always re-adjust the outhaul after downhauling the sail?
6. If your sail feels springy, heavy and twitchy in your hands, what would you diagnose as the most likely cause of the problem:
7. When tightening sail battens, which do you think should be the tightest; the bottom batten or the top?
8. If you want to go at full speed on a downwind speed course, would you apply more or less outhaul?
9. You are sailing in very strong winds, the downhaul is set correctly, but your sail still feels overpowered. It is pulling hard on your backhand and trying to backwind you into the water. Would you apply more or less outhaul?
10. When rigging on the beach, what would you tune first, the outhaul or the downhaul?
11. Will applying more downhaul and less outhaul make your sail feel heavier or lighter in your hands?
12. If the mast you are using is too long for the sail. What are the likely ill effects?
Results and Comments
|Please answer all questions to reveal your overall result here!
0-49% - Oh dear! Sail tuning can make a huge difference to your windsurfing, its time you learned some more about it. Check out our rigging guide here.
50-69% - Not bad! You scored well, but could still do with brushing up. Tuning your sail better will help you plane earlier, go faster and hold onto bigger sails. Check out our rigging guide here.
70-99% - Very good! You obviously know your stuff. You can learn some more with our rigging guide here.
100% - Clever dick! We heard Bjorn needed a caddy, could be time to apply!
¤ DISCUSS SAIL RIGGING HERE