The tramontana wind didn’t failed. The wind line appeared in the horizon making everyone nervous.
The wind picked up to force 5-6 and 3 races in the men and 3 in the women fleet were complete.
Race one saw Antoine Albeau (NeilPryde/Starboard) leading the whole way through from the very first heat. He won the opening race followed by Kevin Pritchard (Starboard, Gaastra) and Finian Maynard (NeilPryde).
On the second race, Micah Buzianis (JP, NeilPryde) defeated Albeau. Sylvain Moussilmani (F2 Simmer Sails) took the third place.
The third and last race for the day saw a big fight between Gonzalo Costal (F2, NeilPryde) and Finian Maynard, but in the end they fought only for the second and third place, because Albeau had another flawless race, winning this last race and taking the lead of the event. Gonzalo kept Maynard under control and manage to finish second.
Valerie Ghibaudo (Tobou/ The Loft) killed it in the first race winning the semifinal and the final, with Karin Jaggin (F2/ North Sails) in second and Ayako Suzuki (Starboard/Gaastra) in third.
Karin did’t want to set for second again and fought hard to wind the second race, with Iballa Ruano (North Sails) finding her way to second and Lee Korzitz (ex RSX racer) got the third position.
But the last race for the women put everyone under pressure and in the final heat Karin and Valerie risked too much and went over the start line early. Iballa Ruano didn’t miss the opportunity and fought for her first race win.
Men results after 3 races:
1. Antoine Albeau (NeilPryde/Starboard)
2. Finian Maynard (NeilPryde/F2)
3. Micah Buzianis (NeilPryde/JP)
4. Kevin Pritchard (Gaastra/Starboard)
5. Gonzalo Costa Hoevel. (NeilPryde/F2)
6. Cyril Moussilmani (North Sails/ Fanatic)
7. Ben Van Der Steen (Simmer Style/Exocet)
8. Bjorn Dunkerbeck (North Sails)
Woman result after 3 races:
1. Karin Jaggi (North Sails/F2)
2. Iballa Ruano (North Sails)
3. Lee Korzitz (Gaastra/Fanatic)
4. Alice Arutkin (North Sails/Starboard)
5. Ayako Suzuki (Starboard, Gastar)
6. Sarah Heber (Starboard, Naish Sails)
7. Valerie Ghibaudo (Tabou / The Loft)
8. Astrid Muldon (NeilPryde, JP Australi)
Photo Credit: PWA/J.Carter