After 12 events, France is without a doubt the winner of the 2008 Speed World Cup. French sailors Cyril Moussilmani and Valerie Ghibaudo finished first in their categories giving France the title.
It was a very successful season, with a total of 394 sailors from 22 nations competing for the titles. The ISWC world ranking is a “rolling ranking”, which includes the results of every competitor in the past 12 month and reflects the current status of each sailor and brand.
Cyril Moussilmani took the victory in the mens fleet with 4 events sailed, finishing ahead of Ben van der Steen, Bjorn Dunkerbeck and the slalom current champion Antoine Albeau.
In the ladies fleet, Valerie Ghibaudo discarded the last event of the season in Dungarvan, but still finished in first position ahead of UK sailor Zara Davis in second and another French sailor, Marion Raisi in third.
The boards Manufacturers Ranking was won by Starboard, thanks to Bjorn signing with them later in the season, leaving Fanatic in second with 2 sailors in the top five, and Thommen in third.
The Sail ranking was won by North Sails for the fourth time in a row including the ISA constructors titles from the former years., with 2 sailors in the top three. In second place this year is Loft Sails and KA sails finished in third.
And finally, the Nations Ranking was won by France, with the Netherlands in second followed very closely by Germany.
1. Cyril Moussilmani (FRA, Fanatic, North) 749.683 points
2. Ben van der Steen (NED), 676.632 points_
3. Bjorn Dunkerbeck (SUI, Starboard, Proof, North) 668.569 points_
4. Antoine Albeau (FRA, Starboard) 548.261 points_
5. Philip Adamidis (GRE, Fanatic) 537.600 points
1. Valerie Ghibaudo (FRA, Loft Sails), 614.125 points_
2. Zara Davis (GBR), 431.875 points_
3. Marion Raisi (FRA), 337.083 points_
4. Karin Jaggi (SUI, North Sails), 335.000 points_
5. Birgit Hoefer (GER), 316.875 points
Board Manufacturers Category:_
1. Starboard, 1812.421 points_
2. Fanatic, 1687.947 points_
3. Thommen, 901.132 points_
4. Carbon Art, 844.953 points_
5. Exocet, 676.632 points
Sail Manufacturers Category:_
1. North Sails, 2226.758 points_
2. Loft Sails, 1660.934 points_
3. KA Sails, 693.134 points_
4. Simmer Sails, 676.632 points_
5. Neil Pryde, 548.261 points
1. France, 2447.227 points_
2. Netherlands, 1612.719 points_
3. Germany, 1509.458 points_
4. Switzerland, 1377.090 points_
5. Greece, 1063.119 points
Photo Credit: Fanatic/D.Wong and speedworldcup.com