Tushingham wants to take your speed sailing one step further, and fastest.
For the past few years, Speed windsurfing has grown spectacularly. Going fast is “in”. Plus with GPS devises available at affordable prices, it is easy for people and friends to get together and compete against each other. You don’t need to be a “specialist” or a speed master to have fun and to push your limits.
In the last couple of years, and thanks to the website www.gps-speesailing.com, people worldwide has decided to give it a try and the Speed community keeps growing and growing.
Here in the UK, a group of really keen speed sailors has grown around the GPS speed Challenges. In contact by email, the days before a good forecast weekend they call for the “Ultimate Speed Meetings” (U.S.M.). They get together and have a good time while trying to beat personal or even national records.
These USM meetings have been really successful events, and Tushingham wants to spread the joy and motivate even more people to join the fun and give it a try. Tushingham has been sponsoring the GPS-speesailing website for a while already, but now, to bring more people to the events, will add some attractions, like the draw of a brand new 2009 Tushingham X-15 rig (to be drawn at the end of September from a list of every rider who uploads his or her GPS tracks from the USM events), Tushingham and Starboard speed kit available on demo test on the events sites, team riders offering all kinds of rigging or sailing tips, etc…Everyone who has a suitable GPS device and wants to have a good blast among other speed sailors are welcome and invited to come. You can use whatever gear you want, it is just about windsurfing as fast as you can however you want to do it.
The meetings are called on forecast, so there is less chance of wasted journeys. This is how it all works:
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
• To sign up for the e-mail list simply visit www.tushingham.com/gps-speed to register your name and e-mail address.
• Tushingham will send out a USM “advisory” of day and location by e-mail on the Monday before a potential speed day. On the Thursday lunchtime the latest weather forecast will determine whether it’s a USM “GO!” or postponement.
• When date and location have been confirmed by e-mail, simply turn up, sail fast (recording the data) and then upload to the GPS Speedsurfing website – www.gps-speedsurfing.com within 7 days.
• For those not already a member of GPS Speedsurfing or unfamiliar with how to upload the results, there will be experts on hand with laptops to show how to do so.
• For each USM, full results will be posted on www.tushingham.com/gps-speed and www.gps-speedsurfing.com
Up to five Tushingham USM’s will be called at different locations around the UK between April and September. Give it a try and join the fun of trying to beat your personal record or your friend’s. Enter the Tushigham website to check out more information about these USM events, resgiter to get the call for the next meeting, get ready and GO FAST!